Wooden fences are a great choice for practical and aesthetic lawn enhancement, but likely will need to be cleaned every once in a while to prevent disrepair and other issues. The fence experts at Challenger Fence Inc have come up with some great wood fence cleaning tips that can restore and rejuvenate your perimeter fencing and get rid of mildew or mold in the process.
- If you do not feel like hand-scrubbing your fence, the best option is to power wash it yourself. If you have a power washer or can borrow one, this will save you quite a bit of time and effort. To prepare for this, it is a good idea to cover and protect plants from the force of the water with a tarp.
- After power washing your fence at a strength between 1500 to 2000 psi, go over certain spots by hand with a scrubber and some household bleach mixed in with the water. After scrubbing, go over these areas with the power washer again.
- If you do not have access to a power washer, you will have to hand scrub the fence from start to finish using bleach and water.
- After the mildew is gone, sand and go over the fence to knock in protruding screws and nails while smoothing out the surface,
- It is important to apply a wood finisher when you are done cleaning the fence and allowing this solution to sink into the wood. This will restore the sheen to your fence and protect it from the elements.
- If you need to paint in certain areas, repaint.
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO MIX ANYTHING WITH BLEACH AND TO NOT COMBINE CERTAIN SOLUTIONS. THIS CAN BE HARMFUL FOR HEALTH.
Take these tips and take advantage of the great weather this fall to brush up your fence. Challenger Fence Inc has many years of experience performing fence installations in NJ and can be consulted to learn more ways to take care of your fence.
Challenger Fence Inc
53 Kentucky Ave
Paterson, NJ 07503